What Is A Section 80 Demolition Notice?

Sometimes you just have to knock a building down.

It might be in such a state of disrepair that it’s not worth doing up anymore. Perhaps it’s in the way of another, bigger project. Or maybe you just don’t like it anymore.

Whatever the case, in the same way that you can’t go around putting new buildings up wherever you like without permission, neither can you knock them down. And to get that permission, the first thing you need to do is fill in a Section 80 demolition notice.

What is a Section 80?

Also known as a Notice of Intended Demolition, a Section 80 is basically the means by which you let others know that you’re planning to knock down a particular building. The legislation is contained within the 1984 Building Act. If you start to demolish a building without permission, you will have committed an offence and could be subject to very large fines.

When applying, you will need to let your local authority know your name and address, the address of the building you intend to demolish and any important details about your project, which could include: a site plan; the type, size and construction (i.e. what it’s made of) of the building; and the demolition works you intend to carry out.

You’ll probably also have to pay a charge to the authority to consider the matter.

Incidentally, if it’s a listed building, then you won’t be able to demolish it all, although you may be allowed to demolish part of it if you get Listed Building Consent. If it’s in a conservation area, then you’re going to need to get Conservation Area Consent.

Who needs to see your Section 80?

The most important recipients will be your local authority, as they’re the ones who will ultimately decide whether you can go ahead or not. However, there will nearly always be other interested parties who will need to know your plans so that they can object or do any necessary work. This will usually be the owners and/or occupiers of any adjacent building, and whoever is supplying gas and electricity to the building.

Are there occasions when you don’t need a Section 80?

You can knock some things down without permission, including:

  • Any building of less than 1,750 square feet
  • Sheds, conservatories, greenhouses and prefabricated garages
  • Agricultural buildings not attached to a non-agricultural building

You also don’t need a Section 80 if you’ve already received a demolition order.

What sort of response can the local authority make?

Your local authority will in all probability issue a counter-notice under Section 81 of the Buildings Act 1984. This will specify certain things that need to be carried out before, during or after the actual demolition. These could include:

  • Taking steps to protect the public during demolition works
  • Repairing any damage to adjacent buildings
  • Weatherproofing other buildings that may be exposed by the work
  • Disconnecting and sealing any sewers situated beneath the building to be demolished (and making good the ground affected once it’s been done)
  • Removing any material resulting from the demolition

However, if you have not received a counter-notice within six weeks of your application, you are free to proceed with your planned demolition.

The Demolition Firm has extensive experience in all kinds of demolition work for both the private and public sectors. We can help you through all stages of your demolition project to make sure you stay within all legislative guidelines. Call us today if you would like to know more about any of our services.

The Demolition Firm is a registered company in England. © The Demolition Firm 2022. All Rights Reserved

Adtrak Logo

This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience...

More information I understand